5 expert tips to hire a general contractor

5 expert tips to hire a general contractor

- in Home Improvement
81
Comments Off on 5 expert tips to hire a general contractor

Are you looking for a general contractor? It could be that you have plans for a home make-over this New Year. Or is it your roof that needs a bit of re-work? Well, whatever it is, a reliable general contractor is your one-stop solution here. Now, there is no dearth of contractors around but then not all will be equally credible. Home remodeling or roof repair is not something that you do everyday. Thus, you have to be extremely careful about choosing your general contractor.

The post below shares 5 pro tips to remember when you choose your general contractor.

Get a comparative survey

The Houston market is flooded with umpteen numbers of general contractors. But don’t just settle with the first one you stumble upon. Ask for suggestions from friends, family and colleagues. Browse online and make a shortlist of minimum 4-5 contractors. You have to get a comparative survey on all to find out the most compatible one for you. The one you choose should be a highly reputed name in the market, backed by minimum 5 years of experience. Your chosen contractor should be free to offer contact numbers of previous clients on request. You must talk to those clients to get an idea of their experience with the contractor.

Certified, insured and bonded contractor

You know a contractor is reliable when he has got all the needed certifications. A certified professional is usually a knowledgeable expert who also follows an ethical business approach. Additionally, make sure the contractor is insured and bonded. Accidents are not uncommon in roof repair or home remodeling projects. If anything happens in your property, you will have to bear all the liabilities. But it’s not the case when the contractor carries the necessary insurance. An insured and bonded contractor ensures the client does not have to bear any obligation in case a mishap happens during his project.

Does he offer you everything in written?

A reliable contractor will generally provide the entire breakdown of costs in written. In most of the cases, 40% of the cost will be for materials and the rest 60% will be for labor and other miscellaneous costs. The written document ensures there is no scope of hidden costs on part of the contractor. If your contractor is not really pro-active in offering everything in written, don’t hesitate to look elsewhere.

Free roof inspection

This point is especially important if you are looking for the general contractor for roof repair.

A credible contractor will generally assure free of cost roof inspection. It’s only after he locates the faults, he will chalk out a repair plan and the payment structure.

Top notch materials

A leading contractor will always guarantee top notch materials for the remodeling or repair project. If you are replacing windows, make sure, he works with Energy Star rated windows only.

Finally, it will be great if you get the opportunity to visit an ongoing project manned by the contractor. It will offer a first-hand view of how he actually works.